New research from the Federation of Master Builders (FMB) and the HomeOwners Alliance (HOA), estimates that it’s possible to add almost £50,000 to the value of a home in just seven days.
The key findings from this research into the projects which can add the most value to a home, in the shortest space of time and in particular parts of the country, include:
- Removing an internal wall to create an open plan kitchen and diner can add £48,417 in seven days to an averagely priced home in London;
- Building a garden room or outside playroom for the kids can add £35,611 in 14 days to an averagely priced home in Surrey;
- Investing in kitchen improvements such as new flooring, a new worktop and new cabinet doors can add £26,838 in eight days to an averagely priced home in Dorset
- Converting a cupboard under the stairs into a downstairs toilet can add £26,708 in seven days to an averagely priced home in Surrey;
- Converting part of the master bedroom into an en suite bathroom can add £14,525 in 11 days to an averagely priced home in London;
- Building a new driveway can add £13,354 in nine days to an averagely priced home in Surrey;
- Installing decking and lighting in the back garden can add £8,946 in seven days to an averagely priced home in Dorset.
Below is their list of projects, costs and the value they can add to a home, broken down by region
Source: Federation of Master Builders